**$28 fee is now being waived for marriage license applications, effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023**
How to apply for a marriage license
Complete the marriage license application form. Attached here Application for Marriage License Do not sign the marriage application form before going to the Local Registrar. You must sign the application, under oath, in the presence of the issuing authority.
Required documents when applying for a marriage license
1. Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
2. Proof of residency by one applicant if a NJ resident
3. Social Security number (* Your social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential).
4. A witness, 18 years of age or older (at the appointment to sign application)
5. The $28 application fee *waived until June 30, 2023
Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
After you apply there is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued.